By Matt Betts
Who are you?
Good question. I wear a few different hats: mother of twins; Buddhist; poet… I’m also a low fat raw vegan and an ST6 trainee in Paediatrics and Child Health in Liverpool. I have a BSc in Biomedical Sciences and an MSc in Public Health, and last year I completed the eCornell certificate course in plant-based nutrition. I write a couple of blogs (www.kidseatplants.com and www.ellenstorm.com) and tweet @kidseatplants and @drellenstorm.
What gets you up in the morning?
My alarm clock, or my kids. Otherwise I’d still be there at lunchtime.
What does the term ‘selective’ mean to you, and how does it relate to your diet and lifestyle?
It doesn’t mean anything – I’ve never heard the term before. But I guess since we all have a fixed calorie quota for the day, we are all selective to some extent. We all have to decide what to put in our pot. The more of one thing we put in, the less of something else. It’s a bit like the economic concept of opportunity cost. Every time you eat a slice of bread, that’s a hundred-or-so calories-worth of broccoli lost, with all its vital phytonutrients and antioxidants. So the opportunity cost of eating the bread is the broccoli you didn’t eat. I suppose it’s just that some people make more conscious selections than others. Unconscious choices are based on availability and social norms, taste preferences, marketing and habit. Conscious choices are based on evidence (however flawed) and ethics.
Continue reading “A Case for Plant-based Diets”
By Olivia Holtermann Entwistle
Unless you have been hiding under a rock or more likely a stack of anatomy books for the past few weeks (although by now it seems like years) it will have been impossible to ignore that the election is looming. You may even be having nightmares of Ed eating a bacon sandwich, or David Cameron repeating, broken-record style phrases like ‘balancing the books’ or ‘hard working people’. You may even awake in a cold sweat thinking of Natalie Bennett’s ‘brain-fade’ on LBC or even worse of how tired Nick Clegg looks, after 5 years of showing us that he has a spine of cottage cheese. Perhaps it is the thought of Scottish independence that has your heart racing, or even the terrifying possibility that Nigel Farage might actually snap himself a spot on the famous green benches. Or maybe, just maybe, you won’t have thought about any of this. If you haven’t then it seems you are in good company.
In 2010, only 44% of 18-24 year olds voted, leaving an entire 56% that decided, for one reason or another, to stay at home.
One can make all sorts of arguments at to why voting doesn’t matter: what difference does one vote make? They don’t work for us anyway? I don’t like any of the leaders, its boring, the list goes on. Well let me try and address those points one by one.
Continue reading “LEAD STORY: Your Country Needs You – A plea for everyone to Vote on May 7th”
It’s here! You can now view this year’s final issue of Pacemaker online. You can view the paper through the link provided below. [Open PDF] Continue reading Pacemaker – Issue 06